Monday, September 17, 2012

Bacon, Ricotta, and Leek Pizza

Let me start this recipe by coming clean about something: I went out with some friends and on my way home, I bought 3 packets of bacon. They were on sale, and my brain informed me that I must have them... So, I now must cook with bacon.

Bacon, Ricotta, and Leek Pizza

Ingredients:
1 packet of pizza dough- $2.49
1 leek, finely chopped- $1.16
3 cloves of garlic, minced- 15 cents
6 pieces of bacon sliced finely- $1.11
1/2 cup of Fat-free ricotta cheese- 50 cents
1/2 cup of shredded mozzarella- 57 cents
1 tbsp oil- 12 cents
Salt & pepper

1. Preheat oven to 475 (this is as high as my apartment's oven can go).
2. Cook the bacon over medium high heat until curled but not crispy (it will cook in the oven). Spoon out the pieces onto a plate, you want to keep that amazing bacon fat.
3. Cook the leeks and garlic until soft, but still a bit green, in the pan with the bacon fat, some pepper and a bit of salt (unless you have very salty bacon).
4. Cut the pizza dough into 4 palm sized pieces (I guess this could be a whole pizza, but I like smaller hand sized food).
5. Oil your cookie sheet so that the pizza dough won't stick, and then use the oil on your hands for when you're stretching each piece, or else it will stick to you.
6. Stretch each piece until it's pretty thin, it will spring back when you put it down, so make it bigger than you think you want.

 7. Evenly add ricotta to each pizza, then leeks and bacon, and then mozzarella.


 8. Bake in oven for 20-25 minutes or until crust looks golden. Sprinkle some salt on top, and if you like spice, I recommend some hot pepper flakes.

Price: $5.98 for four pizzas, which is about 3 meals, so that's $1.99 per deliiiicous meal.

This would be amazing with a spicy baby arugula greens salad. I think next time I may crack an egg on top and serve it for brunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment